Saturday, March 10, 2012

The beginning...

Pretty much all my life I have loved to read. After my first Hardy Boys book, I became completely hooked. But I always wanted more. I wanted to write the stories. I wanted to capture peoples minds like mine had been.

After trying on and off as a child I gave up. I was too young and just didn't understand what writing meant. I hung onto the dream for years though. Then, much later a group of friends started a game of sending around a story. Each person in turn was too write a chapter. Soon it became a game of "How much can I screw the other person and see if he can get out of it." It was a lot of fun and got my creative juices flowing again. However, like most things in a large group, it started to fade away.

I didn't touch writing again for another few years. Then when setting up a gaming campaign, I ended up writing some 1 page teasers to the next mission. I was surprised by how many people liked them, and said they were well written. This was the small spark of confidence I needed.

So for the last 2 months I have been reading up on writing, listing to podcasts on writing (Thank you Writing Excuses) and over all getting my head in the game. During this process I heard of something called "NaNoWriMo". AKA: National Novels Writers Month. http://www.nanowrimo.org/ The idea? Write 50k word novel in Nov. This idea is amazing to me! I want to do it... but holy hell... 50k words... in a month? That is the literary equivalent to climbing Everest to me right now.

So here is my idea... I need to get into training. Like Rambo-ish training! I created a writing group. We are going to write 3 short stories in the next 6 months. This should get me used to writing on a time frame. At least that is the plan...

 Lets see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment