Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Do I know you?

Do I know you? (Character interviews)


In NaNo prep this week, a friend of mine came across this great list of interview questions. It kind of reminded me of doing MySpace quizzes when I was younger. That being said, it did surprise me. I had some characters in my head for a few months now. I thought they were pretty well fleshed out and I knew how they would respond to things. So I figured I would give it a shot and do my 3 character with the biggest part in my book, just to see what would happen...



After about an hour of using the questions as a “entertainment weekly” like interview, I was shocked by how some of my characters responded. I have heard writers talk about “The character just did it on their own.” I never understood this. It always seemed like “You created them from your own god damn mind. How the hell are they not doing what you want them to do?!” As with most things writing... I have come to realize, I know nothing. I found if I tried to force my character to answer a question a different way, it felt like he was lying. I don’t know what this means about the mind of a writer(Skitsofrantic maybe?) but it really wasn't something I was expecting.

I would like to meet the people that live in my head, so I’m looking forward to interviewing the rest of my characters! Now, I’m not saying that the questions I found are the most amazing writing tools ever. Your mileage may vary. Personally I only used about half of the questions, but I’ll post them below so you can pick and choose the ones you like and maybe inspire you to add more. I have the feeling my list is going to be a living document as I come up with new questions that will draw out my imaginary friends... err... I mean characters. 

Hope you enjoy!



Interview Questions
PART 1
What is your name/nickname?
What is your hair/eye color?
Any disinguishing facial features?
Where do you go when you get angry?
Do you have a secret?
What makes you laugh out loud?
Have you ever been in love/Broken heart?
Any birthmarks/scars? How and where?
Where were you born? Where have you lived since then? Where do you call home?
What is your biggest fear? Who have you told? Who would you never tell? Why?
Who do you surround yourself with? Who are you closest to? Who do you wish you were close to?
Who are your friends and family? 
PART 2
What is in your refrigerator right now? On the bedroom floor? On your nightstand? In your garbage?
When you think of your childhood, what smells do you asociate with it?  Why are those smells so resonant?
You're doing an intense spring cleaning; what is easy to throw out and what is difficult to part with? Why?
What one strong memory has stuck with you from childhood?  What is it that makes it so powerful and lasting?
PART 3
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
What do your regard as the lowest depth of misery?
What is the quality you like most in a man? A woman?
What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
If you were to die and come back  as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
What is your current state of mind?
What or who is the greatest love of your life?
What is your favorite journey?
What is your most marked characteristic?
When and where were you the happiest?
What is it that you most dislike?
What is your greatest fear?
What is your greatest extravagance?
Which living person do you most despise?
What is your greatest regret?
Which talent would you most like to have?
Where would you like to live?
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
What is the trait you most deplore in others?
What do you value most in your friends?
Who are your heroes?
Which living person do you most admire?
On what occasions do you lie?
Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
What are your favorite names?
What is your motto?

No comments:

Post a Comment